Checklist (I would very appreciative of any further tips)
● Is the validity of your passport long enough? (at least 1/2 year for Thailand)
● Apply for an international driving license, see driving License category
● Possibility of marriage? See marriage category
● Working in Thailand? See work category
o Cancel health insurance policy? Does a penalty apply for returning to the policy?
o Is your health insurance for Thailand in place?, See
o Cancel contents insurance
o Cancel legal protection insurance
o Cancel personal liability insurance
o Continue life insurance payments or take a pay out (loss of value will occur)
o Cancel car/motorcycle insurance policy
o Inform your insurance company or pension institute (possibly a new account?
● Sell the car/motorcycle
o It cannot be exported (extreme tax level)
● Sell your furniture or take it with you to Thailand?
● Get quotes from transport companies. See moving category
● Make a list of items which will be taken
● Sell your flat/house or give notice to the landlord
● Cancel the electric/energy contract
● Cancel the telephone contract
● Cancel the mobile phone contract
● Cancel your internet provider
● Cancel TV/Radio
● Cancel Sky TV
● Cancel cable TV connection
● Cancel any newspaper/magazine subscriptions
● Public registration office/de-register your residence
● Inform the district recruiting office
● Redirect your post for a certain amount of time
● Give friends and relatives your new address
● Finance/tax advisor
● Close your bank account?
o An account in your homeland can be useful (Internet Banking) see
● Cancel credit cards?
o European credit cards are more secure but a charge is incurred for each payment
● Collect together certificates and other documents and pack them safely into your hand luggage.
● Visit a doctor and be vaccinate yourself (Polio, Tetanus, Hepatitis A/B)
o Receive your medical records and translate them for Thailand
o Polio and Tetanus vaccinations are available free of charge at the Health Service
● Visit a travel /buy a flight ticket early enough so that the plan does not fall through, see flight category
o Some airlines have cheaper prices for excess luggage
● Vaccinate your pets (do not forget their vaccination pass!)
o Find out about possibilities for your pets when booking your ticket
Thai-Embassy – apply for a visa for Thailand
o Applications for an annual visa is not possible at a later date